Thursday, September 10, 2009

our little friend..

the praying mantis...
jeremy caught him and brought him home today and we played with him for a bit.
isn't he so cool?! 
the BIGGEST one i have EVER seen for sure. 

OTHER than spiders OF ANY KIND... 
(most)insects, animals, mammals..etc.. are probably in my top 5 love interests
ANIMAL PLANET
DISCOVERY CHANNEL
PLANET EARTH
... it all just amazes me ...


FUN FACT
 (that most of you already probably know..)   
Father penguins are the ones that sit on the eggs as they are waiting to hatch as the mothers go out and hunt for food.  Well, in Antarctica when the retched snow storms come in sheets of like 10 feet of snow (sometimes all in one night), the fathers continue to sit on the eggs instead of saving themselves, so are therefore buried alive in the snow. These fathers have a natural instinct to protect there little friends come rain or shine (or snow)... even if it means death.  So when the snow melts there is just literally MILLIONS of father penguins skeletons where they sacrificed their life for their babes.  How sad.. but how cute?  I have to admit they have had that documentary on the animal planet twice, and I watched it just as intently the second time around.. just in awe of those cute, yet stinky little critters. If you haven't seen it.. its worth watching (despite what jeremy would tell you!)

ok.. 
well we went from praying mantis's to penguins .. pretty much sums up my random mind. 
(stay tuned next time for my obsession with dolphins! oh i love! Just to give you the magnitude of my passion.. i cried at the sea world dolphin show.. just a serious sensory overload.. with all the dolphins, trapeze artists, cockatoos all blazing at the same time! You know what i'm talking about! 
Then not to mention swimming WITH them on our honeymoon... okay.. i'll stop, or i'll be here all night telling you how they are therapeutic mammals, and therapists honestly do SEND people and REQUEST them to swim with the dolphins as therapy sessions. true story.)

 
you bored yet?
not me.. my adrenaline is just a rush'n just talkin about this goodness.
Until next time on ... THE "CALL" OF THE WILD....
have a good one & ta ta 

17 comments:

Holly said...

I'm glad someone else posts about insects... or 8 legged pets! He's huge Kate! Crazy!! I too am in ♥ with documentaries like this... planet earth... AHH.... gave it to my dad for Christmas, secretly I just wanted to be able to borrow it anytime I wanted! ha! ;) PS Have you watched Happy Feet? That's where I learned about the father penguins! hahaha!;)

nicole said...

Me, you, and Holl were just meant to be friends! I seriously watch the discovery channel, animal planet, and the learning channel all the time! Have you seen the documentary on Irukandji box-springed jellyfish. Theyre the size of your pinky fingernail and they can kill you! You gotta check it out :) Love you!

Ryan & Amanda said...

I'm glad to know someone else has those little critters at their house, we have hundreds in our yard this year, they just keep coming! I love the animal facts!

Ryan,Erika,Kaylee and Khloe Pettersson said...

I wish I could say something nice here but I just CAN'T!!! I HATE nasty creatures like this and you are my hero for not killing Jeremy the second you saw him with "this" in the door...

Bon said...

Hee hee! We have those often around here with a little boy in our house. Except for he forgets to tell me they are in his room and well...I usually accidentally vacuum them up! oopsie!

Unknown said...

You better go watch Happy Feet!

Tanya said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who enjoys watching documentaries on animals! I love them. I'm jealous you got to swim with dolphins I'd LOVE to do that!! As for insects...not a huge fan, I stick to the mammals :)

Unknown said...

We actually had a huge praying mantis outside our house too last week. I didn't play with it though :) Amazing about the daddy penguins...what a cool thing they do for their family

Mandy said...

I loved it Katie!! You should seriously set a side one day to post "Call" "Of the Wild". I'd stay tuned. Hee, hee. I watched Disneys Earth today and cried like a baby.

jenna said...

i would die. just die.

Katie Lee said...

haha, I love it! I also love those channels, when we had them (we havn't had TV for about 8 months now... craziness!) I love love love your blog layout too, so cute!

Judy said...

You are to funny! We love to watch those, but when Cole is here it is......Mystery Diagnosis!

Unknown said...

I have so many praying mantises...manti...mantis...however you say that! We have a ton of them at our house. We find them everywhere! One even snuck in the other day. They freak me out though, not going to lie! But they sure have kept the bug population down for us.

Shelley said...

Kate I love this post! So totally random! :)You are my kind a gal! ;) ----Thanks for admiring my girls,...I think their pictures are pretty amazing too. My mom used to be in to pictures (ask Jeremy,..ha,..he did many a "poses" for her), but she doesn't do much anymore. "Paisley Studios" is actually my cousin Harmony McKinlay. Heather Packham is her partner (Jeremy knows her). Harmony did the session with twins and Heather did our last years family pics (at the top of our blog). They are located in Blackfoot. Their website is www.paisleystudios.com. Whew! Totally confused? My little sister Kara also does amazing pictures (she did Noah's Birthday Party and the girls blessing day). You can check her out at www.karajophotography.com or her blog is linked to mine (Kara and James). She actually lives in Tennessee, but she is in Idaho for the next two weeks, and then again over Christmas. -Hows that for an OVERLOAD of information? Let me know if that helped! :)

Meradith said...

You are so cute! And you and Jason are two peas in a pod with the insect thing. His mom has multiple boyhood pictures of him with his little bug net slung on his shoulder, going out to see what he could catch. I do appreciate a girl who appreciates bugs, for sure. That mantis is HUGE!! And Kate you belong training dolphins at sea world! I can totally see you in a hot little wet suit! There probably will be another opportunity for you to swim with dolphins in the bahamas this year:). Ok I will stop rambling but get home already so I can see your cute face. I know I should know how long extension goes but I never do.

I too love visiting your blog. Thanks for appreciating my preg pic. 9 days before we met Lucy. You really do store a ridiculous amount of fat in ridiculous places (hence the squishy face), all for milk production. Gotta keep it real KC gotta keep it real! Ha can't wait to hang!

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

Yikes, bugs kate really......your crazy! Bugs, reptiles, rodents, anything of that sort just freaks me totally out. You need to post something new soon so that everytime I look at your blog I'm not seeing that creepy praying mantis! :)

Andrew and Shandee said...

You guys are the cutest couple ever!!! I miss you and the program is pretty crazy now. I am getting ready to present my table clinics in Boise next week. Remember that? Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about ya.