Tuesday, January 20, 2009

my 2 cents.....

and there is a lot more than 2 cents here.. so you may want to skip to the next blogger who has updated. Is it against blogger code to post 2 days in a row.. I've never attempted until today, and probably won't happen very often.. if ever again. But I have some thoughts I wanted to express, so please still be my friend even though my last couple of post have been freakishly, annoyingly wordy.


To make an obvious statement... today has been a day that will be distinctly remembered throughout history. I'm embarrassed to admit that in the past I have not been extremely interested or involved in politics of any kind, including the past elections for the United States Presidents'. I have always listened to the news of course, and had a slight opinion- usually influenced by what everyone else was saying about the election. But this election has been different, I feel emotionally involved, and at 25 years old... its about time, eh?!!
  
First of all, my heart has kinda ached and been relieved at the same time for President Bush today. More than Obama, Bush has filled my thoughts.  What a good person. Not a great spokesman, not the brightest, not the most influential leader of all time... but a good person with integrity.  If there was a handbook for the future that Bush.. or anyone for that matter.. could have read 8 years ago that would have laid out what was to come during his presidency, I'm not sure we would have had anyone step up to the plate. How does anyone judge someone in a position like Bush has been placed in with so many diverse/complex/tragic situations? If He would have done things differently, the other half of the country would have been upset, he was in a position where he really couldn't "win" no matter what he would have done. I agree with my dad... maybe not for years and years, but with time, Bush will be known as an amazing man in history... because he really was/is. I can't speak for anyone but myself.. but I'm grateful I can express my opinion, and hope Bush knows there are so many people that were/are behind the decisions he made. I truly feel..know.. he didn't make his decisions "alone". I will miss him, but am so relieved for him. It's someone else's turn, and his turn to relax a little, and not be in the spotlight of mockery anymore. He looked "tired" today. Can you even imagine?! As cheesy as it sounds, I'm proud to have such a huge portion of my life with the memory of such a "true" person leading our country.  





Although I have had many mixed emotions and have heard opinions on every end of the scale about Obama... I have high hopes. I was entirely impressed with his speech today, if you haven't listened to it... you need to. Many say that they hope he isn't "just" merely a good speaker.. I am one that agrees with that hope... but in the same sense, I have felt "at peace" with everything as I've thought about him today.  I just believe influences beyond this world have more of a role in this transition than many people give credit for.  There was a couple of things Obama said today that gave me hope.. and actually gave me chills. When he was addressing the economical crisis our country is in.. he made a comment about us needing to turn necessity into courage, and imagination into common purpose. I love that statement. It's going to take a lot more than a good president to heal our country of the crisis it suffers from.  He also said we should be the kind of person that would take fewer hours if it meant a friend could keep a job. That gave me chills, and I couldn't agree more. That comment doesn't have to be taken literal.. but more as "Lifting others loads" and sharing blessings with those less fortunate is definitely more of what this country needs, and I think he was portraying that in his own way today. He talked SO MUCH about being free, and being a country of "peace"... and wanting to be at peace with every country and leader, and every man and woman in the WORLD.. There is no greater goal.  

For many, this election did not turn out the way they would have liked, but now that it is what it is...  I think its important to remember there are positives to focus on in every situation... and I hope the feelings I have had toward Obama today are going to be accurate in the coming years.  I have put a link to his inauguration speech if you missed it.  It's worth your 20 minutes.




http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7840926.stm





20 comments:

the Petterson Family said...

I agree with you! I kept feeling the same way about both men. Truly, it takes a great man to even WANT to step up to the plate of the President.

Camille said...

Very good thoughts. I agree with your sentiments on Bush. He wasn't the "celebrity" president we've got now, but who would have liked to be in his position, making those kinds of desicions? Not me!! Good thoughts on Obama, too. Right now, I'm feeling more hopeful, too. The bummer is that no matter who is president, we're headed for hard times. One thing about that, though, is that hard times can be a good thing. I see them as times for families to gather together. Maybe it will be good memories, despite whatever we may have to go through. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what lies ahead!

Erin said...

Love it. Dustin and I were watching as Pres and Laura Bush got into the helicopter to leave the White House, and I made the statement that he was probably exhausted and she probably had her hand on his knee, telling him, "Its okay. Its over now." I love him, too. I wish he were my grandpa. :)
As for Obama, I wish him luck and hope he is successful. Of course I support him, but I have some strong opinions about why he was elected, and I'm concerned that the reasons won't be enough... We'll see.

crystal carlson said...

Very well said! I share the same feeling as you about President Bush! I think he did a great job and I don't think anyone really could have done better. I also hope that Obama will be a good presidents and do good things! Great post!

Hanna in the Hizzzouse.. said...

Thanks Kate... I think you put into words what a lot of us are thinking. Everyone has been posting about our new President, but I think we all fail to see how Bush really did his best, and did what he truly believed was right. I am excited to see what the future brings!

Bon said...

Thanks! I love this post and couldn't agree with you more! I too, loved Bush and was disheartened by the "hey hey hey goodbye" song he was given. But I too, look forward to the future and hope for the best!

Ashley said...

That really wasn't a freakishly wordy post. It was actually really refreshing to read. I think so many people share your same thoughts on President Bush, and now President Obama as well. Lets just keep our faith an prayers going, because no matter what, I believe hard times will continue for a while.

Judy said...

Kate!!!!! You are a beautiful person inside and out. I love this. I agree! I have always felt that if Bush wouldn't have gone into Iraq, the American people would have slauttered him. It was a no win situation. I like the guy. Kinda goofy, but like you said, integrity. I am glad you posted this. I appreciate taking a few minutes and thinking of Bush and ALL he did do for us. Good job, kiddo! you are the best.

Genessa said...

I also loved the things that he said during his speech. I have faith that he will dot the best he knows how. And he will put the people first.
Thanks for reminding me of the great things he said. Great post Kate.
I am so grateful for president Bush. He is such an amazing man.

C.B. said...

Obama's speech also gave me HOPE yesterday, I had goosebumps all over, it was amazing.

jenna said...

kate-i'm sad that andrew and i didn't make a cameo on the best couples blog entry listed below. is it something we did? what can we do to make it up to you? i mean we did invite you to come watch the city with us and well...you know what happened. anyway we're just sitting here brainstorming some ideas to make you guys love us more. let us know if you have any suggestions.
love,
us.
p.s. is it quinn? did he give you the stink eye?

Chelsi said...

I was quite emotional yesterday too!! I look up to Bush and all that he accomplished and pray that Obama will lead us in the "pursuit of happiness."

Unknown said...

I just want to say "ditto" to everything you have written.
I can't wait to see what change is coming, but I fill like Pres. Bush needs a long vacation for everything he has had to put up with!

Ashley and Paul Giddings said...

O totally agree with you Kate! And I just ahve to say how creative you are.. I always love your blog! You are just too cute!

JoJo said...

Last night my husband said "Tonight it would be awesome to be Obama, tomorrow it would be awesome to be Bush." I hope he is enjoying some free time!

As for Obama, I am charmed. He endeared himself to me yesterday and I really believe he is unifying the country in a way no one else could.

God bless the United States of America!

Katie Lee said...

Thank you for your wonderful thoughts and comments about the election. You have said many thoughts that I have not said out loud and I appreciate your love and example.

whit said...

Yep, I 100% agree with ya!!! I LOVE Bush!! He really does seem like a good man, which he is....
...he will be missed!

gibsonsthree said...

Katie, I love your comments. I am serious when I say they almost brought tears to my eyes. I have now created a blog to see if I can keep up with you, Lacie, and Jennifer. I am sure I will not be able to since all of yours are wonderful. It is so fun to see all of your happenings.

The Moulton Family said...

I totally agree with you about Bush. I think that he is a very good person who always did what he thought was the right decision. I think that he is also a moral guy, which makes it much easier for me to trust him. (Unlike Bill Clinton who has the morals of an alley cat.) And even if we don't agree with every decision he made-especially when it comes to the war- at least we know one thing, we have not been attacked on our soil since 9/11. That is an accomplishment that everyone, especially the media seem to overlook. And for Barack Obama, I'm hopeful that he will make good decisions. He seems like a good guy who loves his family. But I am worried about a few issues that he and I disagree about: abortion, the war, and the health care system. Good thoughts, Katie!

jenna said...

having kate withdrawls.