Monday, September 19, 2011

half

my good friend, Erin, and I ran the
Camp Pendleton Heart Break Ridge Half Marathon
13.1 miles
(actually according to my mine and my cousins gps, it was 13.6 miles)
every STEP is worth documenting in my book! 

we carb'd up the night before

It was pretty humbling running next to these guys during the race. They wore ALL of their gear: gas masks, heavy backpacks, big boots, and some even carried a flag while running! I couldn't help but get a little teary eyed when I passed a couple of them and I patted one of them on the back and the sweat just gushed off of him where I touched him. It was so symbolic of what these men and all of those who fight for us do everyday in our behalf.   Incredibly humbling.


Pre-race with our good friend Brett

my cousin who has ran a marathon recommended trying jolly ranchers throughout the race. 
GREAT recommendation.


finish line. this feeling doesn't get much better.



Erin was such a great partner in crime. 
COULDN'T have done it without her.


Krystle's dad ran with Brett, and Krystle came to support the crew


I passed out 6 feet before the finish line and this is how I finished.. in the arms of my Prince triumphantly carrying me across.
Okay, that's not true, but would have been a pretty awesome story to tell, right?

11 comments:

Erin Collins said...

Who knew you were thinking such amazingly deep thoughts next to me the whole time?! I was listening to a semi-inappropriate John Legend song on repeat and wishing I had a watermelon jolly rancher instead of blue raspberry most of the race. But seriously love the analogy. So true! Who is your running partner for the full? Just kidding... we should probably go on another run sometime soon :)

Shannon Dooley said...

Welcome to the gun show! Your biceps are incredible! The picture with the soldiers gave me chills. What awesome guys. WTG Kate!

Jesse and Ashley Packer said...

Good Job Katie! I just registered for my first Full Marathon... I am scared to death! However, I am definitely going to buy some Jolly Ranchers :0)

Ryan & Amanda said...

Way to go Kate! Half marathons are so fun, and that one sounds incredible!! And for real, you look WAY too good to have just run a half marathon, you look incredible! I think I am going to try the jolly rancher trick, sounds right up my alley to have sugar while I run! I also love the Jelly Belly Sport Beans :).

VicandNanc said...

That is awesome, congrats on accomplishing something I'll only ever dream of doing!

Katie Lee said...

good for you! I am super jealous. I really want to do a half, and have just started getting back in shape from having a baby. You look great! Congrats and such an incredible accomplishment!

Mandy said...

You rock girl. Makes me wish I were there to run it with you! I LOVE RUNNING!

Katie, you are one hot mamma. Seriously. You have such a perfectly toned bod. You inspire me to be better. ( also love that tank you're wearing ) I bet Germ is in husband heaven. :)

Loved that you posted the soldiers and the effort they make everyday. Not only running the half but you pointed out that they put their bodies through that everyday, for our freedom.

crystal carlson said...

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to look that good after just running a race :) You are seriously too cute! Way to go--that is so awesome! I have had some of those same thoughts while running, but I'm not as good at putting it into words are you are :) I totally wish I would have known about the Jolly Ranchers before I ran my half--I'll have to remember that for next time!

Amber said...

Well look at you go girl!! That is so awesome! Love that photo of you at the end ha ha, that's classic. Good for you, and great job!

Anonymous said...

proud of you girl!
now can i have your legs?!
mmmmk thanks.

Megan Marie said...

hahahaha i wish it was true!!! never again will i flex my arms in a picture unless i look like you!!! i can still hear to saying, "i put garth brooks on my ipod and i run buck wild in the gym" what was the song? standing inside the fire or something?? hahahahha oh kate i miss you!